Swansea City Mission and Educational Trust
Nicholaston House is run by Swansea City Mission and Educational Trust, a registered UK Christian charity, which purchased the House in 1998 thereby establishing a Christian Retreat and Conference Centre overlooking Oxwich Bay.
The following vision, purpose, commitment, values and basis of faith were affirmed and adopted by Trustees on 17 May 2021.
See all people encounter God's glory and be equipped to thrive and live life in all its fullness.
Psalm 84:10; John 10:10.
To bring people to encounter with Jesus and engage with the heart of Father God (John 14:9) so they experience healing and freedom through the transforming power of the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 61).
- We strive to be an authentic community who reveal the heart of Father God and demonstrate the life and works of Jesus that all may be drawn to him (John 14:11-14).
- We embrace the adventure of advancing the Kingdom of God as the Holy Spirit directs and empowers us to serve (Acts 18).
- We believe in a God who does amazing things beyond what we can imagine or at times even hope for and seek to work with him as he heals brokenness and restores life (Romans 4:17; Jeremiah 32:27).
- We pursue God’s everlasting presence amongst us, that draws others to a living relationship with him (John 17:3, 17:26).
- We believe God
- We believe in people
- We believe in unity
- We believe in adventure
- We believe in integrity
- We believe in individual responsibility
We Believe God
- Our faith in our Trinity God – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – is inseparable from how we live, and shapes our approach to life. We seek to put faith into action by believing what God says and committing ourselves in obedience to him.
- God delights in speaking to us, to show us more of his nature and ways for us. We hear him through studying the Bible, the Holy Spirit’s direct inspiration and our fellowship with others. We engage in prayer to align ourselves with the heart of Father God.
- God equips us to overcome anything that stands against us. We uphold the power of unconditional love. We resist succumbing to fear. We embrace God’s supernatural works in everything we need and do.
- Through the cross of Jesus, everyone can find healing and freedom from all the power and brokenness of sin, death and hell and encounter God’s unconditional love.
We Believe in People
- Every person is loved by God and no one is beyond being impacted with his love. That is why we don't give up on anyone, nor judge anyone.
- Being created in God’s image means everyone is bestowed with dignity and creativity. So we regard every person including ourselves as equally worthwhile and seek to encourage ourselves and others to recognise and develop our potential and fulfil God’s best for each of us.
- We regard every person to possess God-given abilities that can make a difference for good and will flourish when submitted to the Holy Spirit.
We Believe in Unity
- We are one team, differentiated by role and God’s calling, not by title or status. Each member’s contribution is of equal importance. No one is invisible.
- We celebrate our differences and recognise that we are enriched and made stronger through sharing our skills, knowledge, experiences and helping one another achieve our goals.
- Servant heartedness means living out Jesus’ teachings and example that put the best interests of others else above his own. We don't ascribe blame or failure. We win together and share disappointments together.
- Our unity is supernaturally inspired as it flows out of the life of Jesus in which we live. We take individual responsibility to maintain this unity and work towards our shared purposes.
We Believe in Adventure
- We encourage innovation, taking initiative, out-of-box thinking and God-inspired risk taking.
- With energy, joy and our best efforts, we serve and minister to one another and others.
- We are excited to be co-workers in transformation with the Holy Spirit.
We Believe in Integrity
- Openness, honesty, truth, purity, dependability and authenticity are our essential pillars on which we build our trust in one another.
- All things are possible when we believe and trust in one another and in the strength the Holy Spirit inspires in us.
- We are prepared to be vulnerable and respect the vulnerability and confidentiality of others.
We Believe in Individual Responsibility
- Our individual walk with God sets the foundation for how we work and relate to others. We continue to prioritise growing in a living, vibrant relationship with God.
- We are members together of one body. Each of us has the potential to affect the whole. We look out for one another and in love, we offer and accept care and correction.
- Each of us embraces our personal journey of self-improvement. We’re still far from perfect. We continue to redefine our limits and stretch our expectations that we may serve to the best of our God-given potential.
Basis of Faith
We believe in:
- The one true God who lives eternally in three persons – the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The love, grace and sovereignty of God in creating, sustaining, ruling, redeeming and judging the world.
- The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which are the written Word of God – fully trustworthy for faith and conduct.
- The dignity of all people, made male and female in God’s image to love, be holy and care for creation, yet corrupted by sin, which incurs divine wrath and judgement.
- The incarnation of God’s eternal Son, the Lord Jesus Christ – born of the virgin Mary; truly divine and truly human, yet without sin.
- The atoning sacrifice of Christ on the cross: dying in our place, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, so reconciling us with God.
- The bodily resurrection of Christ, the first fruits of our resurrection; his ascension to the Father, and his reign and mediation as the only Saviour of the world.
- The justification of sinners solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ.
- The ministry of God the Holy Spirit, who leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our discipleship and enables our witness.
- The church, the body of Christ both local and universal, the priesthood of all believers — given life by the Spirit and endowed with the Spirit’s gifts to worship God and proclaim the gospel, promoting justice and love.
- The personal and visible return of Jesus Christ to fulfil the purposes of God, who will raise all people to judgement, bring eternal life to the redeemed and eternal condemnation to the lost, and establish a new heaven and new earth.
Trustees, who are ultimately responsible for the work of Nicholaston House, meet on a regular basis and continue to act with foresight, faith, wisdom and courage.
- Mr Geoff Thomas (Chair)
- His Hon Michael Burr
- Mr Derrick Hancock
- Mr David Jones
- Mr Jim Penberthy
- Mr Allan Gray
- Mr Jim Probert
- Mr Erik Fok
Swansea City Mission and Educational Trust (Nicholaston House) is a member of The Evangelical Alliance, The Retreat Association, CRNet (formerly Christian Camping International (CCI), Global Connections, Christian Healing UK, The Quiet Garden Movement and City Mission Movement (UK) (formerly The British Association of City Missions).
‘God’s House’ is a detailed account of how Nicholaston House came into existence by the man who had the vision and was given instruction direct from God.
In 1990 God unmistakably led Sue and Derrick Hancock to Swansea to see a vision fulfilled which God had given them some years previously. The booklet (A5, 53 pages, colour) gives a brief factual account of what God did and is doing. It has been written for two reasons - to give glory to God and to show what very ordinary people can do when they step out in faith with God. 'All that we have accomplished, You have done for us' - Isaiah 26 v 12.